Comparing academic cultures
What kind of differences do you think you might find when you start your studies in the UK? You are going to watch some international students and their tutors speaking about aspects of academic life in the UK that sometimes surprise international students.
Watch a video in which some students and tutors speak about different academic cultures, and move any items in the list that you hear mentioned in the video into the first box. Move any items that are not mentioned in the video into the second box. You can watch the video as many times as you like. When you have finished moving all the items, check your answers and read the feedback.
Video transcript (pdf, 10kb).
Watch the video extract again with the transcript above if you need to check your understanding. The parts of the transcript containing the answers to the listening task are highlighted.
What differences will there be for you?
Now you are going to think about the differences that there might be for you when you begin your studies in the UK.
Choose your own answer to each question and then look at the feedback to find out what differences in study you can expect.
1. How has most of your learning been done up to now?
2. How is most of the teaching done on university courses in your country?
3. How much contact do students in your country have with their tutors and lecturers?
4. What kind of contact do students have with tutors and lecturers in your country?
5. How is a student's work assessed and awarded a grade in your country?